Philadelphia is a central metropolitan area with a thriving transportation industry, and Uber has become a popular option for locals and visitors. The ride-sharing company has been operating in Philadelphia since 2012. It has grown significantly in popularity. According to a recent report by the Philadelphia Inquirer, Uber and its main competitor, Lyft, had a combined 88% market share of ride-sharing trips in Philadelphia.
Uber has also invested in Philadelphia by offering various promotions and discounts to riders and drivers and partnering with local organizations to improve transportation access and promote driver safety. In recent years, Uber has expanded its services in Philadelphia to include options such as UberPOOL (shared rides), UberEATS (food delivery), and UberX (lower-priced rides). Uber’s popularity in Philadelphia is likely to continue due to the city’s size, diversity, and growing demand for convenient and affordable transportation options.
8 Factors That Lead to Uber Accidents in Philadelphia
Uber’s popularity in Philadelphia can be attributed to several factors. Firstly, Philadelphia has a large population, with over 1.5 million people in the city and over 6 million in the greater metropolitan area, making ride-sharing an attractive alternative to traditional taxis or public transportation.
Read Also: Top 3 Car VIN Decoder Websites In The US
Additionally, Philadelphia has a strong tourism industry, with millions of visitors each year, many of whom use ride-sharing services to get around the city. It is quite easy to book a ride using your mobile, and these rides can be less costly. When we use Uber, we expect drivers to follow driving rules and drive safely.
But according to Philadelphia Uber accident lawyers, Uber accidents are increasing at a high rate as more and more people use these ride services. Wondering what can cause these accidents? Following are some factors that lead to Uber accidents in Philadelphia,
- Distracted Driving – It is a common factor in accidents. Drivers may be more prone to distractions, such as using their phones to accept new ride requests or navigate to the destination.
- Careless Driving – Drivers may engage in risky and careless behaviors like speeding or aggressive maneuvers to complete more rides in less time.
- Fatigue – Long and hectic hours of driving and irregular schedules in such a busy city may lead to driver fatigue. This impairs their ability to react to potential hazards.
- Road Conditions – Philadelphia’s traffic and road conditions can be challenging for drivers. This is especially true during peak hours or under extreme weather conditions.
- Vehicle Maintenance – If a ride-share driver does not maintain their vehicle properly, it can increase the risk of accidents due to equipment failures such as tire breakouts or engine or brake failure.
- Lack of Familiarity – Ride-share drivers may not be familiar with all the roads and routes in Philadelphia, leading to confusion or missed turns.
- Passenger Behavior – Passengers who are disruptive, distracting, or force drivers to rush can create a dangerous driving environment.
- Intoxication – Both drivers and passengers may be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, impairing their judgment and reaction times.
It is important to note that the factors contributing to road accidents are not unique to ride-sharing services and can be present in any driving scenario. However, ride-share companies like Uber are responsible for ensuring that their drivers are trained properly and their vehicles are maintained. Their policies also need to promote safe driving practices to reduce the risk of accidents. Additionally, passengers can play a role in their own safety by being respectful and considerate of their driver and following basic safety guidelines such as wearing seatbelts and avoiding distracting behavior.