Blocked drains can be an absolute disaster. If your drains get blocked due to any reason, in that case, the entire drainage system would be choked, and it would create an absolute mess. Blocked drains are not a very uncommon phenomenon. If you’re living in a house, which has a relatively old drainage mechanism in it, in that case, you are most likely to experience such a condition. What makes things worse is the fact that there are hardly any signs that would indicate that you’re up for a hard time. All of a sudden, you realize that the water is not passing as smoothly as it is supposed to.
What often you have been in such a situation? There is no need to mention that calling an experienced plumber is the only solution. However, it is also important for you to know the reasons for blocked drains. There are quite a few. In the following section, you’ll be offered a brief insight into some of the main reasons that cause blockage in the drainage system, so that you can be aware of them and take precautionary measures.
What are the main causes of blocked drains?
Blocked drains are caused due to some common reasons. They are as follows.
- One of the biggest culprits is the loose hairs. When you are bathing or washing, loose hairs on your body tend to wash away, and then gradually get deposited in the opening of the drain. Over a while, this accumulated hair can create blockage in your drainage system.
- Usually, blockage in drains occurs after many years of using it. Like loose hair, suspended particles that flow with the water gradually get deposited inside the drain, which over some time creates blocked drains.
- The dirt of different kinds is another reason that results in blocked drains. Even though water might flow through the pipe every time you wash, it’s not enough to clean the lines.
- We often through small food waste, and other unnecessary products in the drain expecting that they will pass through. But, they form a cluster of garbage that blocks the drain passage. Thus, throwing such objects in a trash can is better than in the bathroom or sink.
- The drainage mechanism which is being used for years would have different types of minerals built up inside them. Rust is one of the most common types of foreign elements that get created inside the drainage system over some time. Due to the accumulation of these different types of minerals, the space inside the drain chokes down and does not allow water to flow smoothly.
- There can be physical damage as well. In the case of old drainage systems, the chances of physically damaging are quite likely. In case the drainage system gets physically damaged, then water won’t be able to able to flow through as smoothly as it is supposed to. Also, if the outer part of your drainage system is situated in a position under an old tree then tree branches can damage your drain.
- Another reason for drain blockage is soap, and unlike liquid soap, soap bars can cause such issues. Many soap bars are made with fat, and the grease or fat present in the bar combined with minerals can harden and block the drain.
These are some of the common reasons that contribute to blocked drains. There is only one way to make sure that your drainage system is working smoothly and efficiently, you need to make sure that it is being inspected regularly by an experienced plumber. The plumbers have the experience, expertise, and most importantly the most advanced equipment these days, which enable them to detect any possible blocked drains and take action instantly.